Thursday, November 3, 2011

November Bunco... Whitney Style a.k.a Christmas mood!

I finally got to host Bunco! It was so much fun to get everything ready and then have the girls over.  Seriously I love my group of bunco friends.  They are so funny and energetic.  Since my bunco was in November I decided to make a Thanksgiving dinner.  Which was so scary! I have never even made mashed potatoes before let alone a flipping Gobble Gobble turkey! I think my mom and Ashlee were ready to pull there hair out after my 15th call asking how you make mashed potatoes or how you make a flippin turkey.  Which you don't even make one, all you do is cook it! Real rocket science Whit. 

Pretty sure this is how my day went...
9am.... "Ash when should I put the turkey in the oven?"
9:30am.... "Mom how do I even cook a turkey?"
11am.... "Mom how do I make a turkey taste good?"  answer! Put butter on top of the turkey to melt while it cooks.  Butter is always the answer :)
11:15 am.... "Ash, how long do I boil the potatoes to make mashed potatoes?"
11:30am.... "Ash, will you come early to make sure I don't ruin my mashed potatoes?"
12:00am..."Mom I need help cleaning out the turkey! (As I'm gagging while pulling the guts out.)
1:00pm... Thought to self.....'Let's go to KCF and just get chicken and we'll tell the girls that the Turkey RAN AWAY!!!'

I'm sure your imagination can finish the rest of my conversations through out the day.  I learned from my mom that to make a good turkey you put it in the turkey bag.  Before you close it off pour a can of Chicken Broth over it.  Yes the whole can so it can cook in the juice.  Salt and Pepper it.  Then cut a half of a cube of butter into 4 squares and put it on top of the turkey to make it melt over the turkey when cooking.  Then all that juice is saved to use for the gravy.  Way good!  

I think my turkey ended up turning out really pretty!


We had quite the feast for dinner.  We had turkey, homemade stuffing (thanks mom for the recipe), mashed potatoes (yep! I figured it out!), rolls (thanks ash, they were unreal!), salad and then of course desert! We had pumpkin sugar cookies and churro cupcakes.  Super yum! Here is the smorgishborge...





It was even more fun to have all of my Christmas decor up for bunco.  My friends weren't surprised at all because they know me too well.  I took some pictures of the decorations but they are so much prettier in person.  Love love love Christmas.  I think I decorate like my mom.  She always has had garland since I can remember with big red bows at the bottom of the railings.  Which I have always loved.  So I totally copied her and then my aunt shell hung big ornaments from her chandelier one year and it was the cutest thing I've ever seen.  So I copied her too.  Grandma would be proud to see what her condo looks like right now. Hm.. maybe I should get a pinterest account!







2 comments:

  1. Whitney, I ran across your site because I have alot of stuff on my site about Bunco. I used to be part of a neighborhood Bunco group and we met once a month. Congrats on hosting your first one! Also, my family makes turkey in a bag too. It started with my Grandma 20+ years ago and I've been doing it ever since. Nicely done! Do you mind if I use the picture of the turkey on my site? I am planning on doing a page about how to cook a moist turkey and I don't have one as good as yours. Contact me here if it's okay http://www.theme-party-queen.com/theme-party-queen-contact-us.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney! Hi! i am usually working during these hours and instead up sitting in bed wasting time with the silly computer finding all my lost friends! ha ha and updating myself on their lives! I have been searching for your sisters and then wanted to see if you and your missionary got married! ha ha and you did!! Yay! Congratulations on your marriage!! You are so so beautiful!! And he is handsome...you guys are great!

    That is so funny about the turkey. Brady, my husband, thought it was just that time of the month. ha ha ill have to tell him i'm not the only one. I made a full chicken a couple of months ago and i called my mom almost hysterically crying becuase it grossed me out so much! Tearing out the insides!? And then tying the legs together? It scared me permenently i think. So rude....and so gross! I'm impressed you conquered an even larger bird. I couldn't eat chicken for probably 3 months. pathetic. And i am an ER nurse, which is more embarrassing. ha ha oh well. PS I'm glad bunco hasn't died out. such a fun game! i hope you are doing well! Tell your family hi!

    ReplyDelete